Momentum stands with the Black community and all people of color at this moment of reckoning. We too are outraged at the deaths of George Floyd, Tony McDade, Breonna Taylor, and so many other Black lives lost. Those precious lives were lost not just because of the actions of cruel people, but because of the inaction of people of good will who were willing to accept the status quo.
It is incumbent on every American to step up and do our part to end the poisonous racism that has plagued our country for so long. For us at Momentum, this means a commitment to educating ourselves, challenging ourselves, and taking action to foster greater racial equity through our own policies and practices.
As we continue to do this work, here are some of the resources we are consulting. We hope you also find these valuable.
- A short, compelling 101 video on systemic racism
- The End of Policing by Alex S Vitale, about the history and development of the police force in the US and America, and the changes which need to be made. Verso Books have made the ebook available for free here.
- Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Basketball star and activist Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s op-ed in the LA Times.
- A list of books from The Cut for suggested reading on racism, being anti-racist, and more.
- Color of Change
- Black Lives Matter
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- Colorlines (& subscribe to newsletter)
- Anti-Racism Resources – a comprehensive google doc of books, movies, shows, podcasts, etc. for white people and parents.
- To purchase books from a local Black or African American-owned bookstore, Refinery29 has compiled a list of these by state.
- Something for everyone who wants to help, from The Cut